Thursday, April 19, 2012

Unable to connect to friend's custom game

Hello,

My friend and I are trying to play each other, but we're unable to connect to either games we create. I've read about port forwarding, but I'm afraid I don't understand it. Is there anyway we can just connect without going through battlenet? Thanks for any help,

Riftta|||One of you will have to be able to accept an incoming connection in order to host the game. Incoming connections can be blocked by routers and/or firewalls.

If you have a router issue, go to portforward,com and do some reading. They have step by step instructions for many popular routers.|||Quote:






View Post

One of you will have to be able to accept an incoming connection in order to host the game. Incoming connections can be blocked by routers and/or firewalls.

If you have a router issue, go to portforward,com and do some reading. They have step by step instructions for many popular routers.




Thank you for the reply,

Both my friend and I have disabled our firewalls, and still, we are unable to connect to each other. I've been to portforward.com, and attempted to follow the instructions, but I'm unable to get my DNS. I even called my ISP, and they didn't know what I was talking about, even though what I was reading said they "definitely would."

I'll keep trying the portforwarding thing, but is there no other way?|||No, there is no other way.

You were probably reading about setting up a static IP address. Their guide for doing so is located here:

http://www.portforward.com/networking/staticip.htm

Once you have done that, try to find you router on the following page, and follow the instructions.

http://portforward.com/routers.htm|||Is portforwarding safe?|||All it does is tell the router to pass along certain traffic that it receives for a certain port on to your computer. Once that traffic reaches your computer, your firewall, assuming you have one, will deal with it just the same as it would if you didn't have any router to deal with.

Just think of a router as an extra firewall. If you already have one, then you don't have anything to worry about.

No comments:

Post a Comment