Wednesday, April 18, 2012

WASD Control definitions

<<Insert Long Thought out Post here, Read bottem for summary>>

Warcraft III remains a fun game and all, but windowed mode is too limited, and Blizzard sure as hell isn't going to update it anytime soon. So all I can do is want and whine about certain innadaquacies that I can't do a thing about.

Windowed mode has a scrolling issue, You move the mouse outside the window, it stops scrolling. Frustration ensues. Through all my searching the mighty evangelical god that is google, I've failed to find anything pertaining to changing the key definitions for keyboard scrolling, nor the windowed mode scrolling issue.

Not even editing your keyboard definitions can save you apparently, Warcraft must have it's own system in the game, and don't say custom keys, because I haven't found any means of scrolling in there either.

BUT, This is the internet! And the internet is full of creative, if not more talented people. People who've created such innovations as nocd loaders, So here's my plea.



What we need is a program that can do one of two things, either change and edit the warcraft scrolling key definitions, like changing it to WASD or what not. OR Something ragnarok esque, where the window is inescapable, the mouse scrolls to the edge, but cannot leave it. The only way to escape is an alt tab or pressing the windows key. This is ideal, as the mouse would no longer leave the window, leaving everyone happy, lagless and joyful for ages and ages to come!

If you have a wealth of programming knowledge, or happen to know of a program or fix to achieve the same results, get cracking!
|||Wakeup Internet, this is an important issue.|||Isn't scrolling with the arrow keys alot easier? I'm always doing it like that, whether it's windowed or not. Or is there some kind of super-expert-way-of-playing-w3-which-needs-scrolling-with-a-mouse-strategy I don't know of? |||Nope! Some of us are simply not left handed, nor ambidextrous. This is a widely known issue, and salvation and spreading of such a salvation would make the internet a better place : )|||Why should you be left handed for using the arrow keys? Does left or right handed matter at all while using a keyboard and mouse? I didn't ever notice that, not with me, or with any other person I know. :p I myself am right handed, and use my right hand for the mouse, thus able to use my left hand freely anywhere on the keyboard.

If you meant that some of you are simply not right-handed, that shouldn't also matter, because you just put your mouse on the left side of your keyboard then, so you've got your whole right hand to utilize your keyboard (setting your mouse left or right handed can be changed using your OS settings).

I'm probably totally wrong though, if it's a widely known issue. :p|||Oh ho, this one's a clever duck isn't he...well let me draw you a diagram to better explain my predicament,

First off, the right hand on the mouse, scrolling and selecting units, items, whatever you're needing. The left hand, with it's limited dexterity, is using the number keys to select unit groups, Fkeys, and whatever your hero or building hotkeys may be.





Next, we have the same setup, but with the right hand on the arrowkeys, it can no longer select units, it can only scroll the map, in order to select units it would need to move back and forth quickly between the mouse and the arrowkeys, which is very inconvienent for fast paced battles.



Were I to cross my arms, it would be made even more complicated : ) but hopefully you can see by now that the WASD key setup would be much easier given what the left hand is used to, many a gamer has used this setup for a long long time, and I can only imagine how many happy faces we'd have if we made it happen.|||If I ask "Why you don't just put the game in full-screen mode when you are engaged in 'fast-paced battles', since you are so involved that you can't move a hand to the arrow keys anyhow?", will you promise to draw some more funny pictures?|||You should apply for drawer of explanatory drawings in manuals at Blizzard. I'm honoured to get such a nice explanation though, honestly. :)

I was already thinking it would have been that. But I'm not an expert player, so I'm probably not using the hotkeys as massively as W3-freaks. And I use my left hand for the arrow keys, not the right hand, obviously... Pressing hotkeys and using the arrow keys isn't too intensive for my left hand. :)

Now I'm also realizing why games often have that horrible WSAD configuration by default xD. But it's mainly horrible because I've got an azerty keyboard. :p

Anyway, it's quite remarkable that you can't change the keyboard configuration with W3. There should be a way to solve this though.|||*Reads aforementioned ''Must be omgleet playar style'' comments*

*Decides you were just being a jerk and disregards it*

I'm glad you enjoyed my scribbles, though it kind of feels like i'm talking to a wall on this. The whole reason I undertook this epic quest for functionality was because my research yielded little or no results for a fix. Just a bunch of complaints about users having scrolling issues in windowed mode, and little or nothing to do about it.

Now when I attempt to get to the bottem of it, instead of the slightest pinch of support, you're trying to mock me over it. I just don't understand how good intentions can't be well received. I feel like i'd have better luck asking 4Chan's /v/ board.|||Quote:






View Post

Now when I attempt to get to the bottem of it, instead of the slightest pinch of support, you're trying to mock me over it. I just don't understand how good intentions can't be well received.




I'm sure if people could have given you some pinches of support, they would have come running at you with their index fingers and thumbs wagging in the breeze by now. Unfortunately, it isn't a problem that is likely to be resolved without violating that license agreement we made when we loaded the software onto our computer that involved messing around with the game's engine - and as such, even if someone could provide you with a solution, I'm pretty sure I would have to delete any reference to it from the forum immediately thereafter, given the site/forum policy on that sort of thing.

But seriously, why can't you play in full screen mode (problem solved)? If the gameplay action is that intense, you shouldn't be mucking about, ogling other things on your desktop anyhow, should you? Come on, you know you have another one of those drawings in you; show me how you need the screen windowed so you can watch your stock/fantasy sports ticker at the same time or something.|||Ok I'm having the same issue and saw your wonderful drawing and had to sign up before I could post a reply.. but I wouldn't if the drawing wasn't so good :D

Not good as in art-quality good or proper/exact/correct-ness but like - it *SO* explains what exactly the problem is :D

Anyways I have a game to get to but wanna just say 2 things!

I believe that there's some way to modify the control keys you use in wc3 - will find you the details once I have some time to (but it involved just editing one of the files that kept the hotkeys or something)

and just reading this reminded me that someone can probably write a program to "lock" your mouse inside the window until you press some specific key (or combination of keys!)

I run a little program called [decided to edit this out!] that a friend gave me (dunno where he got it) and all it does is act like you've pushed the ALT key down (so you can view everyone's hp) and that is it. Makes playing games like dota alot simpler and reduces the amount of hand-cramp you can get. I used to hold down the ALT key nearly the whole game.

ANyways will get back to this soon :) I really like the drawing - you did with a few lines what PARAGRAPHS of text wouldn't be able to do :P|||I tried playing in windowed mode yesterday and ended up getting frustrated by the scrolling. There is a way to "scroll" but it involves using the mouse's middle button. If you click the middle button it acts like the screen has been grabbed so you can move the map/mouse around and it'll scroll like that for you. The bad thing is (at least for me) its kinda counter-intuitive. I'm going to check about the hotkeys...

[edit] Just had a read through a few forums and found this!

http://www.autohotkey.com/forum/topic7833.html

Looks like you *can* change it so that wsad points to up down left right.. I don't know that much about coding but I'm sure this is possible - you'd probably not be able to use those wsad keys for other commands though :/|||I just generated a exe with autohotkeys which does the following

http://rapidshare.com/files/25878911...shift-wasd.rar

# Shift + W = Arrow Up

+W::Up

# Shift + A = Arrow Left

+A::Left

# Shift + S = Arrow Down

+S::Down

# Shift + D = Arrow Right

+D::Right

Just need to care when writing @ chat!

Greetz

No comments:

Post a Comment